Developed in the 1960s, cognitive behavioral therapy (also known as CBT) is a unique form of talk therapy that helps to change the way we think and behave. The list of reasons that CBT might be used is fairly extensive, with some of the most popular being anxiety, depression, coping with grief or loss, and managing emotions.
This revolutionary therapy method used to be only available by going into a doctor’s office. Now, thanks to the best online cognitive behavioral therapy websites, you can get this treatment without the need to leave the comfort of your home.
Top 3 Online CBT Therapy Providers
1. Online-Therapy.com – Best Overall Pick – CBT Therapy is the Primary Focus
- Very affordable options for people without insurance
- The entire company focuses on online CBT therapy alone
- Tons of additional resources besides one on one sessions
- Text with your therapist in between sessions
2. Talkspace – Best Option with Access to Psychiatrists
- One of the highest-rated online therapy services
- Text with your therapist at anytime
- Works with most major insurance companies
- Affordable rates for those who don’t have insurance coverage
- Access to psychiatrists if you decide to use medicine
3. BetterHelp – Good for Therapist Options
- Over 13,000 therapists you can match with
- Option to receive CBT treatment anonymously
- Simplified cost structure—one plan with all features
Why Are These the Best Online CBT Therapy Sites?
The Therapists Actually Use CBT
There are quite a few online therapy providers out there that provide information about cognitive behavioral therapy on their websites. However, that doesn’t automatically mean that their therapists or counselors use the means of treatment. Each of the top online CBT services we’ve included here actually has practitioners on staff who use and apply CBT for patients.
They’re Trusted Online Therapy Providers
Just because a company uses CBT doesn’t mean they’re a good fit for you. The therapy needs to come from a provider with a solid track record of treating patients with success. Each of the options we’ve listed here has a strong industry reputation when it comes to delivering quality treatment services.
A Focus on Security and Privacy
A common fear with online therapy is how things are going to be kept secure. Thankfully, the best cognitive behavioral therapy services online understand these concerns and have safeguards in place to keep you and your information secure. Some of the options we’ve included even let you do all of your therapy anonymously, if that’s something you are interested in.
What is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?
Cognitive behavioral therapy, also known as CBT, is a form of talk therapy that helps to reshape the way that you think about things. The general idea is that if you can become aware of your negative or inaccurate thoughts, you can view the situation with more clarity. This allows you to make better decisions that produce better outcomes for your life.
It’s the belief that your thoughts drive your emotions and your physical reactions, which in turn drive your behaviors. And the idea goes further to say that many of our thoughts are inaccurate or unfairly negative, which can create problems.
Some of these thought patterns include:
- Filtering Your Thoughts – This could be referred to as “hearing what you want to hear.” It’s when we magnify the negative events in our lives and dismiss the positives.
- Personalization – This is when we take things personally that really shouldn’t be about us. For example, if your boss criticizes your work, you may always assume that something is wrong with you, even though that’s probably not the case.
- Catastrophizing – This could be referred to as “blowing things out of proportion.” It’s when your brain takes a small detail and begins building out a scenario that is much worse than what’s really happening. For example, if you hear a weird noise on an airplane and immediately think that means the plane is going to crash.
- Labeling – This is when you start to unfairly put labels on yourself based on something that happened. If you didn’t get a job you interviewed for, you call yourself a failure. If someone doesn’t want to go out with you, you call yourself a loser. These are unfair labels, but it’s where the mind may go sometimes.
- Unrealistic Expectations – Life would be a lot easier if we could change other people. However, people change when people want to change. The struggle to understand and accept this can be a negative thought pattern where online CBT therapy can be effective.
If you felt some of these thought patterns resonating with you and your life, it’s okay; you’re not alone. By becoming aware of these thoughts and learning strategies to correct them, you can produce fruitful results in your life. This is where cognitive behavioral therapy sessions can be extremely beneficial.
What conditions are cognitive behavioral therapy used for?
The list of things that CBT therapy can be used for is quite extensive. It’s a great starting point when you’re not interested in taking medication or when you want to use it in conjunction with other types of therapy (like medication) to achieve the best results.
Here are some of the most common things online CBT therapy is used for:
- Coping with loss
- Coping with grief
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders
- Managing symptoms of mental illness
- Coping with life’s stressors
- Dealing with relationship conflicts
- Sleeping disorders
- Common phobias
- Eating disorders
- Ineffective communication
Can you do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy online?
Yes! Cognitive behavioral therapy is not available through online therapy providers. And what’s great is that studies and research show that online therapy can be just as effective as in-person therapy. The main differences are you can do your sessions from anywhere you are comfortable, you don’t have to drive to a stuffy doctor’s office, and there are usually cost savings.
Additionally, online cognitive behavioral therapy gives you access to thousands of different therapists. The best CBT therapy websites know how to match you with the right fit. And because you’re not limited by any geographical limitations, it increases the chances of a great match.
Is CBT the most effective therapy?
Different people respond differently to different types of therapy. That being said, CBT therapy is one of the most popular and widely used forms of therapy for a wide array of different conditions. Many people have found success using CBT therapy. If you’re not sure if it’s a good fit for you, we recommend speaking with a therapist for a consultation to see what they think is best.