If you are familiar with online therapy, or have read some of our reviews, you’ve likely heard of BetterHelp. Their online therapy services are popular thanks to their monthly payment model and the ability to pay through PayPal. Today, we are going to focus on their sister site, ReGain. ReGain is a relationship counseling service that utilizes exclusively text-based communication.
If you are interested in online relationship counseling, continue reading. Looking for solo counseling? Take a look at some of our other reviews for online therapy providers that offer individual therapy services.
2022 ReGain.us Review Score – 4.0/5
|Ease of Use||4.0/5.0|
Contents of our ReGain Relationship Counseling Review
- Pros and Cons of ReGain.us
- Fast Facts About ReGain Online Therapy
- The Sign-Up Process
- Services Offered by ReGain
- Reviewing ReGain Patient Privacy
- ReGain Cost and Insurance
- Verdict – Is ReGain Worth It?
- ReGain FAQ
Pros and Cons of ReGain.us
- You can stay completely anonymous
- Inviting your partner to therapy is easy
- You can enter your therapy room and communicate anytime you want
- There is a single recurring fee for services. They range from $240 to $360 a month.
- Therapy is done over chat and doesn’t require face-to-face meetings or pre-scheduling appointments
- You can set up payment on a debit card or through PayPal
- Counselor matching can take a few days
- Pricing isn’t set until matched with a counselor
- Does not accept insurance
- Therapist may not respond to messages immediately
Fast Facts About ReGain Online Therapy
- ReGain Relationship is the sister site to BetterHelp
- ReGain was launched in 2016 and is based in California
- There are no psychiatry or prescription services available
- All therapy communications are text-based and not in real time
- You can invite your partner during sign up, or later
- You are not required to use your real name to access Regain’s therapy services
- You can access and use the chat room for you and your therapist (or you and your therapist and partner) 24/7.
- You will receive a notification if the therapist responds to your chat communications
- With over 7,500 users reviews the RegainApp has a rating of 4.8 on the App Store and 4.5 on Google Play.
The Sign-Up Process
Signing up on Regain Relationship is quick and easy. You will first be asked if you are joining alone or with a partner. If you choose to join with a partner, you will be allowed to send them an invitation during the sign up process. If you choose to sign up for individual counseling, you will continue to fill out your personal information. If you say you aren’t sure, you will still sign up but can choose to invite your partner later on in the process.
You will be required to choose a nickname and provide an email address, but you can keep your real name off your profile. This adds a layer of anonymity that many users enjoy.
The site will prompt you to fill out a questionnaire regarding your needs and goals for therapy, which will help them match you with a therapist. This questionnaire includes questions about your relationship, whether or not you are experiencing abuse, and your preferences in a therapist (age, religion, liberal vs. conservative, etc.).
Once complete, matching can begin. This matching process may take minutes, hours, or even days.
Services Offered by ReGain
ReGain can help you and/or your partner with the following issues:
- Sexual dysfunction
- Lack of intimacy
- Marital Issues
- Parenting Disagreements
- Overcoming adultery
- Guidance during divorce or breakups
- The ability to overcome the threat of divorce or breakups
How ReGain Relationship Works
When you sign up with ReGain.us, you will be matched with a counselor. Then, a chat room will be opened up between you and the counselor. When you and/or your partner want to communicate with the counselor, you simply enter the chat room and send a message. Your therapist will reply when they see it, but this can take some time.
You will be notified when there is a response to your chat, so you can return to the chat room and continue the conversation. You are able to enter and use this chat 24 hours a day, so anytime there is something on your mind, you can share it with the counselor.
You are also able to respond to the counselor whenever is convenient for you, which saves you the time drain of having to set up and attend scheduled therapy sessions.
The pricing varies based on your counselor and location, but ReGain says costs stay between $60 and $90 per week (paid monthly). You can cancel your service at any time, but those who do not cancel can expect the cost to auto debit from their account every 4 weeks.
The Extras We Found During Our ReGain Review
- Users have the option to sign up anonymously.
- There is a focus on website accessibility for disabled users.
- Patients have the ability to invite a partner even after being matched with a counselor.
- There is a permanent log of all communications between user and counselor to be used as reference material whenever necessary.
- The App has a strong focus on user privacy and lets users set a private pin to keep others off their app.
Reviewing ReGain Patient Privacy
We are impressed with ReGain’s focus on patient privacy. They use the most modern technology to keep communications private and secure, and use additional features like application pins and anonymous sign up to help keep patients secure from those in their personal lives as well.
Here are some of the ways ReGain.us keeps their users’ information secure:
- All communications between patients and their counselors is protected through the adherence to state and federal laws.
- ReGain doesn’t work with insurance companies or employers which means they don’t need to share any information with them.
- Users can “shred” a message at any time which permanently deletes it from their account and chat log.
- Users are not required to identify themselves to use ReGain’s services.
- Messages are encrypted with banking-grade 256 bit encryption measures.
- ReGain’s database is encrypted and scrambled which means that if there ever is a security breach, all information is completely worthless to the hacker.
- The browsing encryption system at ReGain.us follows the most current best practices.
ReGain Cost and Insurance
ReGain follows the pricing model of their sister company, BetterHelp. This means they charge between $60 and $90 a week for services, depending on location and the counselor. The fee is charged once a month, which makes the cost between $240 and $360 a month. It is a recurring fee, so those who sign up will be charged even if they haven’t communicated with their counselor during that month.
ReGain does not accept insurance or employee health plans.
Key Details About the Pricing at ReGain
- Users pay a recurring monthly fee ranging from $240 to $360
- Users can pay with a debit card, credit card, or through PayPal
- Users may not use insurance or any employee health benefits toward pricing
- The monthly fee includes unlimited access to, and use of, the counseling communication room
- There are no additional fees for late night communications
Does ReGain Offer Financial Assistance?
No. ReGain.us does not offer any financial assistance, free trials, discount codes, or other monetary relief options for users.
Does ReGain Take Insurance?
No. The ReGain app does not accept insurance nor do they plan to ever begin accepting insurance or any form of an employee health plan. This means patients are responsible for the entire cost of their monthly fee.
Verdict – Is ReGain Counseling Worth It?
Many online therapy services don’t offer couple’s counseling, which can make ReGain seem like a quick and easy, “yes,” to those in need. However, it is worth exploring other avenues if you have insurance that is willing to help pay for your services. ReGain is on the pricier end of online therapy, and some users don’t like that having a full conversation with a therapist can take hours because the communications are not in real time.
ReGain Relationship is great for people who:
- Like having 24/7 access to a chat room with their therapist
- Don’t mind communication taking longer than traditional counseling
- Have a fear of face-to-face couple’s counseling or general therapy
- Need help with relationship issues that can lead to divorce
Are all of the therapists on the ReGain app licensed?
Yes! The counselors and therapists from ReGain.us are licensed and credentialed with many years under their belts. Additionally, they are all certified in their respective states.
How long does it take at ReGain to get matched with a therapist?
The matching process can take a few minutes or up to a few days. ReGain’s customer service page says the time varies based on your location, needs, and the counselors available.
Does ReGain.us Offer Psychiatric Services?
No. ReGain therapists offer basic counseling and relationship counseling services. They cannot provide psychiatric care or assessment. They cannot diagnose disorders or prescribe medication. They cannot fulfill any court orders.
Is ReGain better than HealthSapiens?
ReGain and HealthSapiens are both popular therapy providers. HealthSapiens is great because they are extremely low cost and have great user reviews. Many individual patients rely on their services to be able to afford mental health care. However, they do not offer any group counseling services. So, if you are in the market for a couple’s therapist, ReGain definitely has HealthSapiens beat.