Teen Counseling is an innovative telehealth platform that brings together teenagers and therapists that specialize in their needs. If your child has been struggling to connect with their therapist or counselor, Teen Counseling claims to be able to help.
Teenagers have the highest rates of mental health conditions due to the chaotic combination of scenarios encompassing their lives. From hormones to the crushing pressures of school and work, teens are highly susceptible to anxiety and depression.
Today, we are going to look at the services offered by Teen Counseling to see if they are as helpful for teenage patients as they claim to be. Whether you are a teen or a parent, this Teen Counseling review can help guide you toward the right therapy choice.
2022 Teen Counseling Review Score – 4.1/5
|Ease of Use||4.0/5.0|
|Cost of Care||3.5/5.0|
Contents of our Teen Counseling Review
- Pros and Cons of Teen Counseling Therapy
- Fast Facts About Teen Counseling Online Therapy
- The Sign-Up Process
- Services Offered by Teen Counseling
- Is Teen Counseling Right For Me and My Child?
- Reviewing Teen Counseling Patient Privacy
- Teen Counseling Cost and Insurance
- Verdict – Is Teen Counseling Worth It?
- Teen Counseling FAQ
Pros and Cons of Teen Counseling Therapy
- The therapists/counselors on Teen Counseling are specialized in talking and relating to teenagers.
- Parents can handle all the boring sign up business and then invite teens to join when it’s time to meet the therapist.
- Teen Counseling offers financial assistance.
- Parental counseling is also available.
- Teens under 18 can’t sign themselves up for counseling or therapy.
- There is no option for medication prescriptions on Teen Counseling.
- There is no option for less than 4 sessions a month.
Fast Facts About Teen Counseling Online Therapy
- Teen Counseling has almost 26,000 specialists available.
- Teen Counseling has provided 224 million counseling sessions and counting.
- Over 3 million people have found help on Teen Counseling.
- All providers on Teen Counseling are experts with a minimum of a Master’s Degree education in their field.
The Sign-Up Process
The sign-up process is open for parents who need counseling for themselves, who need counseling for their teen, or who might want counseling for their teen down the line. To begin creating an account, users will need to pick which of those options best describes their situation.
The entire sign-up process takes between 5 and 10 minutes.
Users will need to inform Teen Counseling about their history with mental illness and counseling and provide details relating to the emotional health of the child. At the end of the questionnaire, there is a text box where users can go into deeper detail about their needs and goals for therapy.
We enjoy the guided sign-up system as it makes it easy for the Teen Counseling algorithm to match the user with the perfect therapist for their teen.
Once the sign-up process is completed, parents can invite their teen(s) to the platform. The teen can begin attending therapy with the parent or solo. The cost of the teen’s therapy is included in the cost the parent pays for membership, so there is no need to create a new payer’s account before therapy begins.
Services Offered by Teen Counseling
Teen Counseling offers therapy to teens and their parents in two forms – message-based and live sessions. Users won’t have to try and choose between these options because paying members have access to both!
What’s more interesting about Teen Counseling is that they offer services to both teens and parents.
The main selling point of TeenCounseling.com is that the therapists and counselors are specifically trained in handling teenagers and understand how to approach their needs in a helpful way.
Often, teens in crisis tend to shy away from counselors because they feel condescended to, even if the counselor has no such intent. The reality is that many teens are dealing with a cacophony of hormones and societal pressures that make them truly believe everyone is against them.
They put up walls of steel and internalize their pain, leading to emotional breakdowns, panic attacks, or worse.
The counselors on Teen Counseling have the experience and knowledge to get through to teenagers and help them to begin opening up and healing. The platform does a good job of matching teens with a therapist that understands their specific needs.
Parental/ Relationship Counseling
At TeenCounseling.com, they know that even the most well-adjusted teen can have a tumultuous relationship with their parents. If you feel like you don’t know how to talk to your teen or get through to them, there are relationship therapists on Teen Counseling that can help.
These providers have years of experience in creating bridges in stressed parent/child relationships. They can help the child to open up and allow the parents into their life. They can also help direct parents to break the cycle of emotional abuse that is often dragged down from generation to generation.
The end result is a strengthened family unit where everyone feels valued and respected.
Is Teen Counseling Right For Me and My Child?
If you are trying to decide whether Teen Counseling is the right teletherapy site for you, it is vital to break down your therapy needs. Ask yourself:
- Is my child asking for a therapist?
- Is my child showing signs of depression and anxiety?
- Do I need help learning to connect with my teen?
- Is the relationship with my teenager stressed and/or uncomfortable?
- Is my child distant from me and their friends?
- Does my child show no interest in the things they used to enjoy?
- Is my child expressing anger in inappropriate ways?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, Teen Counseling may be right for you. The site is set up to allow parents to begin the process and find a good therapist for their situation. Then, they can invite their child to either attend sessions alone or together.
The therapists come from many backgrounds, making it easy to match patients with a therapist who understands their needs and can approach their problems from the perfect angle.
Reviewing Teen Counseling Patient Privacy
The company will never ask users to login outside their encrypted platform. Users can opt-out of cookie tracking and only utilizes general analytics in the process of enhancing their marketing.
This means Teen Counseling is not selling user data to third parties in a way that violates their medical privacy rights.
Additionally, Teen Counseling is forthcoming about the fact that they may share private user information with police or lawyers if subpoenaed. This is standard with all therapists in the US and nothing to be worried about as a user.
Teen Counseling Cost and Insurance
Teen Counseling offers low-cost therapy for teens and their parents.
The platform adjusts its prices from person to person but tries to make sure everyone can access their weekly therapy sessions for less than the average cost. In the US, a single therapy session can cost up to $300. On Teen Counseling, users can get open access to text therapy and four live therapy sessions for the same or less.
|Service||Term||Cost per Week||Billed As|
|Membership||1 Month||$50 to $90||$200 to $360|
Teen Counseling does not accept insurance and they will not submit claims to insurance on the behalf of the patient Users are capable of submitting a request to their insurance for reimbursement of their counseling services cost. However, Teen Counseling must be paid upfront for its services.
Key Details About the Pricing at Teen Counseling
- The cost of Teen Counseling is different from user to user. It is based on location and financial needs.
- The cost of service is charged monthly.
- Teen Counseling memberships are charged on a recurring basis unless manually canceled.
- The parent and the child use the same account, so there is no need to pay for two memberships.
Does Teen Counseling Offer Financial Aid
Teen Counseling offers financial assistance to anyone who needs it. Most users who need financial assistance will be automatically given a decreased price. The sign-up process asks users to inform the site of their status as a student, veteran, disabled person, unemployed person, etc.
If you get to the end of the sign-up process and haven’t received a discount, there are two ways to apply for financial aid. Click on the link that says “apply for financial aid” or click on the button that reads “I can’t afford therapy.”
The application only takes 2-3 minutes and approval can be received instantly.
Forms of Payment Accepted on Teen Counseling
Teen counseling accepts four payment types: credit card, debit card, PayPal, and Google Pay. To use Google Pay or PayPal, users will need to know their account log-in. If using a new device, these forms of payment may require verification via email or text.
Verdict – Is Teen Counseling Worth It?
Teen Counseling is one of the only telehealth sites on the market that caters explicitly to teenagers and their parents. We love that the therapists on the platform understand the overwhelming variety of issues in a teen’s life. They work to help teens not just “fix their problems” but teach them to recognize, understand, and regulate their emotions.
The help that teens could receive from counseling and therapy could set them up for healthier and happier adulthoods. For that reason and many others, we think Teen Counseling is worth it!
Reasons to Use Teen counseling
- The therapists on Teen Counseling are some of the best when it comes to connecting with and helping teens.
- Parents can easily begin the process of signing up for therapy, even if they aren’t ready to invite their teen.
- Counselors on Teen Counseling can help improve the relationship between teens and their parents.
- There are financial aid options to help all users afford therapy services for their teen.
Teen Counseling FAQ
What Do I Do if My Teen is In an Urgent Crisis?
If you or your teenager are in an urgent crisis, do not sign up for Teen Counseling. Instead, utilize one of the following resources:
- Emergency: 911
- Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: 988
- National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433)
- Crisis Text Line: Text “DESERVE” TO 741-741
- Lifeline Crisis Chat (Online live messaging): https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/
- Self-Harm Hotline: 1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288)
- Planned Parenthood Hotline: 1-800-230-PLAN (7526)
- American Association of Poison Control Centers: 1-800-222-1222
- National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependency Hope Line: 1-800-622-2255
- National Crisis Line – Anorexia and Bulimia: 1-800-233-4357
- TREVOR Crisis Hotline: 1-866-488-7386
- TransLifeline: 877-565-8860
When Will I Know if I Qualify for Financial Help?
You will receive an instant price adjustment after applying for financial aid. If your cost was not adjusted, you were not approved for financial assistance. Feel free to reach out to Teen Counseling customer service for more help.
Why Did Teen Counseling Say They Can’t Help My Teen?
Sometimes Teen Counseling will turn away a potential patient during the sign-up process. Here are a few reasons this may happen:
- You are not a legal guardian to the teen.
- The teen is in an urgent crisis or needs a psychiatric evaluation.
- The teen isn’t old enough to use the site’s services.
- The email or other account information is already associated with a different account.
Can I Sign My 12-Year-Old Up For Teen Counseling?
No. Users must be 13 or older to use the site.
How Do I Sign Up for a Free Teen Counseling Account?
If you are ready to sign up for Teen Counseling, simply click on our sign-up link below.